On a rare occasion, the cooking spirit comes over me I run to my kitchen to whip up something new or play around with old recipes. Years ago I perfected a homemade buttercream that I have been making ever since. I literally will buy a box cake and throw my own buttercream with it! On this occasion I just wanted the buttercream, dats it. But I quickly realized that a dish created from butter and sugar only looks good when it’s on a cake! So I was forced to create the whole shebang for the sake of this blog. My poor waistline! The end result was great though and I am happy to share it with you all :).
Tips Before You Go
- I have never made this sans a Kitchen Aid Mixer. I imagine you could whip the butter as effectively, but it would probably be a workout!
- I also use this Kitchen Aid attachment, because it has a scraper to wipe the bowl as you go. It’s genius and the Kitchen Aid folks really need to make it a standard accessory when you purchase!
- I noted that I use unsalted butter, you can use salted if you like that whole salty sweet combo thing. I personally HATE any hint of salt in my buttercream. Real chefs will say the contrast brings out the flavor, I do not see it, but to each its own!
- Almond extract is VERY strong, use it sparingly. It provides a different flavor though that immediately stands out.
- I love the contrast of chocolate cake and vanilla buttercream. My sister constantly reminds me that I am weird for this, but the person making the cake makes the decisions!
- Oh and the cake in this post is a recipe from a blogger called the Hungry Hutch. Head there for this delicious chocolate cake recipe.
Let me know your thoughts on this recipe and of course if you try it!